“Why do I need to use organic baby products for my infant”, you may ask? From the clothing they wear, the food they eat, to the personal care products they use, here are some valuable statistics that will help you in deciding whether to use organic baby products for you precious little one.
* Depending on the body weight of your baby, standard chemicals are up to 10 times more toxic to children than to adults. This is due to the fact that babies take in more toxic chemicals relative to body weight than adults and have developing organ systems that are more vulnerable and less able to detoxify toxic chemicals.
* Infant’s skin is thin and delicate and is up to 100 times more sensitive than adults.
* According to the EPA’s “Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment” children receive 50% of their lifetime cancer risks in the first two years of life.
* According to the Food and Drug Administration, half of the produce currently tested in grocery stores contains measurable residues of pesticides. Laboratory tests of eight industry leader baby foods reveal the presence of 16 pesticides including 3 carcinogens
* In blood samples of children aged 2 to 4, concentrations of pesticides residues are six times higher in children eating conventional farmed fruits and vegetables compared with those eating organic food . If you must buy conventional fruits, peel and wash all fruits and vegetables before giving it to your child. This can remove some of the pesticides from the surface.
* One of the main sources of pesticide exposure for children comes from the food they eat.
* 62% of food products tested contain a measurable mixture of residues of at least 3 different pesticides
* Currently 400 chemicals can be regularly used in conventional farming as biocides to kill weeds and insects. For example, apples can be sprayed up to 16 times with 36 different pesticides. None of these products are present in organic foods or organic baby skin care products.
* You may find 300 synthetic food additives in conventional foods. None of these are allowed in foods that are certified organic baby products.
Keep in mind that baby product manufacturers will not list the pesticides or herbicides used in their product ingredient’s list as these are chemicals used by farmers on the actual ingredients. But we now know that the most common baby products (food, skin care, nappies, cotton clothing) found in pharmacies and supermarkets are full of synthetic chemicals and hidden pesticide toxins. Using organic baby products is not only about creating better health for your baby now, but you will also be helping your child to minimize health concerns in the future. Remembering that babies skin is so much more delicate and thinner than an adult, so products applied to their skin gets absorbed much easier. They also lack a fully developed immune system to help their bodies break down and expel the unnecessary chemicals that they are bombarded with day after day. Click here to find all your organic baby skin care needs.
Written & Submitted by Chris King
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Related Baby and Pregnancy Articles