Think you know everything about skin care. Find skin care tips and facts which will astonish you and make you think twice if you want healthy younger looking skin. Read at your own risk. You may find some of the facts disturbing.
|1. 89 % of 10,500 ingredients used in personal care products have NOT been evaluated for safety
2. One third of all personal care products contain 1 or more ingredients classified as possible human carcinogens
3. Over the last 30 years, only 9 of those 10,500 ingredients in personal care products have been banned or restricted
4. Organic & natural based ingredients have been shown in a number of studies to contain more vitamins, nutrients and cancer-fighting antioxidants than non-organic ingredients.
5. Organic systems prohibit the use of artificial chemicals, pesticides, preservatives, colorants, toxic ingredients, animal testing and fertilizers
6. The average adult uses 9 personal care products daily exposing them to 126 chemicals every day.
7. The skin is our largest organ? Much of what we apply is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. For instance; when Lavender essential oil is rubbed onto the skin, traces can be found in the kidneys only hours later.
8. Acne is not caused by poor hygiene
9. 90% of the damage that occurs to the skin is from the ultraviolet rays. 50% of this damage occurs before the age of twenty.
10. Sun damage can lead to premature aging, wrinkling, rough, saggy skin, and discolored skin and skin cancer.
11. Our skin ages primarily from exposure to UV light from the sun. Exposure to sunlight over years and years makes the skin thinner and creates in skin appearance that we link to aging.
12. Wrinkles are caused by primarily two things: UV light from the sun and smoking.
13. Part of the reason that dry skin and itching are problems for older people is that, as you age, sweat and oil glands in your skin are lost. This results in dry skin and all the problems (like itching) linked with it.
14. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the U.S. Almost 50% of Americans older than 65 develop have skin cancer at least once in their life.
15. Just because a product contains natural ingredients, doesn’t mean that it won’t be potentially irritating. Products with rosemary, tea tree oil, lavender and chamomile can provoke an allergic reaction. Before using any new product, it’s wise to apply a very small amount first to make sure that it’s safe for your skin.
16. Perfume free products can sometimes have perfumes in them to block the chemical smell of a cosmetic but they are labeled as preservatives. The only topical preparation that does not need a preservative is pure petroleum jelly.
17. Winter showers longer than 15 minutes can damage your skin (especially if the water is high temperature).
18. Exfoliating is a key ingredient to healhty radiant skin. Dead cells feed bacteria and they also cause your pores to become blocked leading to unhealthy skin.
19. Vitamin E is a powerful weapon to combat stretch marks.
20. Coenzyme Q10 is a powerful antioxidant. There is a number of forms of CoQ10 and by itself it will lay on the surface of your skin. There is a nano-emulsified form called Nano-lipobelle H-EQ10. This form easily penetrates 7 layers deep into your skin, resulting in skin that is smoother and more firm.
21. Cynergy TK is a new substance that aids your body in re-growing collagen and elastin. It contains Functional Keratin that is an extraction of the wool of New Zealand sheep. The sheep are bred by special farmers that follow specific protocols. This ensures its quality. Cynergy TK is similar to human skin and forms a thin film on your skin that fills in lines and makes your skin look smoother than it actually may be.
22. A wonderful natural Japanese kelp called Phytessence Wakame is rich in minerals and vitamins. It blocks a harmful enzyme that depletes the necessary supply of Hyaluronic Acid. Collagen, elastin and Hyaluronic acid work to keep your skin nice and firm.
23. More expensive skin care brand products are not necessarily better. The cost of advertising, fancy packaging and marketing are added to the price of the product. You sometimes are paying for the prestige, but not necessarily paying for the quality.
24. Nicotine in the tobacco smoke narrows the blood vessels taking oxygen to the skin via the blood stream. The skin with less oxygen takes on a greyish tinge. Fine lines and wrinkles appear because the skin is dry and less elastic.
25. The skin is the largest organ of the human body. It covers an average area of 17 to 21 square feet and composes approximately one-sixth of the body’s weight.
26. Skin continually renews itself. Old skin cells are gradually shed and replaced by new ones, with most cells being replaced approximately every 28 days.
27. Our skin is almost completely waterproof, making it our natural raincoat. It stores water and fats and regulates our temperature.
28. In women, blood supply to the skin decreases gradually from the age of 35 and precipitously at the menopause.
29. In men the process of decreasing blood supply to the skin is more gradual, which is why men tend to age more gracefully.
30. Most of the skin care products that you buy in the store contain harsh chemicals that actually rob the skin of essential oils.
31. Going to bed with your makeup on can age your skin up to 7 times faster. (Get that makeup off before going to sleep and let your skin breath and repair while you sleep!)
32. If you wear mascara every single day all the time, your lashes will become brittle and will begin to slowly fall and thin out.
33. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), is a foaming agent that is used in 90% of commercial personal care products. However, SLS is so strong it is also used in car washes, garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers. The M.S.D.S, a government body, classifies SLS as a severe skin irritant. Long term exposure can cause eye damage, central nervous system depression, laboured breathing, diarrhoea, severe skin irritation, and even death.
34. The skin starts aging when the cells die off faster than the body can replace them. Sickness, stress, anxiety and depression also add to the aging of the skin.
35. The skin is colonized by millions of bacteria. In general these do no harm, although some less wholesome bacteria can be present on the skin. If these manage to penetrate through a cut or crack they can infect a wound and may form an abscess.
36. Skin fungal conditions are caused by microscopic fungi that use dead cells and skin secretions as food also cause infestations of the outer skin. These fungal infections are not usually harmful, although they can cause intense irritation and damage to the skin’s appearance.
37. Botox is actually a neurotoxic protein called the ‘botulin toxin’. It is produced by the bacterium ‘clostridium botulinum’ and it is one of the most poisonous naturally occurring substances in the world. A single drop of the toxin can kill over 50,000 people. Botox is a poison. Botox may cause more muscles than the ones you want to freeze causing a portion of your face to ‘droop’.
38. Picking or squeezing pimples or blackheads DO NOT necessarily cause marks or scars. (There are 2 schools of thoughts. Some will tell you if you squeeze it will leave scars. Others will tell you that if you do not squeeze the comodone or pus out, it will leave a scar. Evidence has shown that squeezing pimples will cause scar and evidence has shown that not squeezing the pimple will cause permanent scars, you are the best judge of your skin).
39. It has been scientifically proven that, “STRESS” to be the primary culprit for the cause of sickness. Remembering that beautiful skin is ‘skin deep’. (A healthy functioning body will be reflected in the radiant colour and tone of your skin). So think positive and be happy!